Monday, November 19, 2012

Binding Blues

I finally bound a quilt. It looks horrible. It's my 2nd try. I will not publish a picture of it because I am so embarrassed. I called Dawn at Tradition's Quilts and told her I was bringing in 8 quilts to be bound. She said OK. I told her I needed 3 by Christmas and the rest any time.
So, tomorrow I'm loading up my Hummer and taking all 8 quilts and the fabric for the binding to my LQS so she can find people to bind them. I said machine bind them. I don't care. They have been sitting around for over a year and I want them done.
My Bernina 830 will not sew with anything but 50 wt. thread. What is up with that? You can't find 50 wt. in small spools. You have to buy cones. So how can I machine bind a quilt? I want to use the same color as the binding and I can't. I need to go to my dealer and have them show me how a $10,000 sewing machine will work with 40 wt. thread when I can't get it to.
It breaks after a couple of stitches. Every time!!!! I do maybe a half an inch and the thread pops. The thread gets really tight and pops! How do I fix that? Any ideas? I would love you forever if you could help me. Is it the tension? Do I go up or down on the tension?
H.E.L.P.  M.E. please!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanne,
    My name is Priscilla Lewallen. I live in Dallas, OR and have 2 blogs called Quilting Sew Much Fun and Quilting at Mistletoe Hollow. I started a quilting business and I love to bind quilts by hand. I can give you a price for binding if you are interested. I have a Pfaff Grandquilter 18.8 and Quilt Artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your offer. I have the owner of my local quilt shop doing the binding for me. She says she does it for other people also. I kind of think she just said that to make me feel better. But thank you anyway. My brother lived in Dallas, OR years ago. Nice town.

      Delete
  2. Hello, I am happy I found your blog. I have enjoyed browsing and look forward to future posts. Found you through Marcia's Linking Party and just became a Happy Follower! I hear on the binding thing--not my favorite either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for saying that binding is not your favorite thing either. Makes me feel so much better! I can piece a quilt, no problem, but give me 1/2 yard of fabric and a quilted quilt and ask me to bind, and I am a klutz!

      Delete