Thursday, December 15, 2011

Made a Major Mistake

I told everyone how to make this binding and I gave incorrect information. I feel so stupid.
I went back to the quilt shop and she reminded me that the small piece of the binding is 1 1/2" and the large piece is 2". I told everyone it was 1" for the small and 2 1/2" for the large piece of binding. I am sorry. I hope no one started trying this method. Here, I'll show the pictures again:
You cut your binding. You cut one piece 1 1/2" and make it as long as your quilt (sew pieces end to end until it is enough to wrap around your quilt. Then you take your second piece and cut it 2: and do the same (long enough to go around your quilt.
Now you sew them together.
You put wrong sides together and iron it now.
Now this is what it looks like after you've ironed it.
See how the little lip (1/4") is showing? Okay, now you want to machine sew it to the back of your quilt. You want the 1 1/2" piece of binding (gold) to lay against the back of your quilt. The blue will be on top,
After you sew it you turn it over and machine sew it to the front of the quilt.
You sew right between the two different fabrics...in the ditch. Now you have a 1/4" lip added to your binding.

It looks like when you put Ric Rac under your binding. It makes your quilt look so nice. You can make the 2 1/2" piece larger if you want more of the other color to show. I think I'm going to try 2 3/4" next time.


I only use my cell phone camera so my pictures aren't that great but this is what it looks like when you're done. I know it's hard to see. This quilt is my "Hearts from Texas". I flew down to Texas to see my niece and then we drove from Austin, TX to Cove, OR. It took us 3 days.


I bought this quilt kit in Round Rock, TX at "The Quilting Bee".On my plane ride down the gal I sat next to just happened to be a quilter and I asked her if she knew of a nice quilt store in Austin that sold quilt kits. My niece doesn't quilt and she said she'd take me to ONE quilt shop (it was like taking your husband to a quilt shop...she wasn't having fun and I don't blame her). She told me to try "The Quilting Bee" in Round Rock (a suburb of Austin). Well, they had quilts all over their walls and for every quilt on the wall, they had quilt kits. That was a first for me. So I bought a couple of  nice kits and this is one of them.
Sorry about the mis-information in the earlier post. Hope someone tries this. I am going to go blog about this on other blogs now.

1 comment:

  1. How very pretty to have an inner border on the binding strip. I will be back to study your updated tutorial on my very next quilt!

    ReplyDelete